We are about over our jet laga dnt eh kids have enrolled in school here on base and are loving every minute. The teachers are fantastic and they all left eh first days elated and thrilled to be at teh school.
We have visited a few old castles alredty in this first week and are heading to Cambridge tomorrow.
We visited a village last week (Shrewsbury) and went to some beautiful old churches. There is a castle right in the middle of the town of Shrewsbury. While in Shrewsbury, we spent time in the library that used to be an old school-- Darwin attended the school. So, now the kids know a bit about evolution and they think Darwin was a bit daft for inventing such a crazy idea-- Seth was amazed that anyone even believed his idea:)
While at the library, we could gaze out the window to an old castle that was just next door. It's crazy how much history there is in every step of this country!
We are currently living in a hotel suite on base but we hope to move out to a house sometime next week. I tried driving this week (well, actually just two blocks on base to the grocery store, but, gotta start somewhere). Alan has rented a little stick shift-- so, I am on the wrong side of the road, driving on the wrong side of a car and using a stick shift with my left hand-- all very weird.
We are trying to drink it all in and hope the kids remember this experience. I love it here. The country is quirky compared to the way we do things in the US and the inconvenience and lack of customer service and all things American add to the charm. It also requires a slow pace in life. There is no way to hurry around here where nothing is particularly conveniently located and where most stores close by 7p.m. I am starting to get into the habit of going to the store each morning to buy what I need for dinner as there is no storage space where I am and English fridges are notoriously small.
The ward building is tiny-- they divide the chapel into halves and the primary uses the back portion of the chapel for sharing and music time. There are 40 children in the primary and not enough places for each class to meet separately, so a few classes have 10-12 kids! Everyone has been very friendly and helpful. A family invited us over for dinner after church last week and it reminded me that I need to find the new people in a ward and do a better job of seeking people out. I had to take a shuttle to a clinic for the kids to get more shots. While I was there, I ran into a woman from the ward. She offered us a ride home in her mini van with 4 booster seats! What a blessing. We were going to have to wait 2 hours for the next shuttle. Everywhere I go, I run into helpful people from my church-- I love this church and have vowed to be one of the helpful people in it!!
I really enjoy being here and hope to be able to add many more adventures
along the way.

1 comment:
Sounds like you are having a great time! Keep the updates coming!!! :)
Post a Comment